Wednesday 23 September 2009

site / Citation

Site/Citation is a daily audio journal dedicated to the "quotation" of local environments - usually urban, usually dominated by noise pollution. For the first 47 days (approx. 7 weeks) I used only the binaural mics attached to a PCM-D50 field recorder. My hope was to establish a blatant fabric of tones that were imminent everywhere - in rooms, on the streets - because the city is dominated by (because surrounded by) highways and busy avenues. In the next few weeks I'll be experimenting with a single RODE NTG-2 shotgun mic, using it to pick up particulars lost to room or ambient noise.

I edit minimally - mostly for dynamics, volume and equalization - in Sound Forge v. 9.0. I record religiously, scouting several locations throughout the day then listening and editing and posting in the evening. My goal is to sample 365 days a year (starting this August 3rd), listening to the autumn and winter die down, then wake again in a spring cacophony of aviary orgasm.

The files can be streamed or downloaded. I welcome comments and eMail (cacasama@towson.edu), and hope you'll sample my work and remix it.

As John Cage, Happy New Ears.

No comments: